Skip to main content

Personal Renewal

 Hello All -
Again, it's been awhile since I've posted, huh?  My life has taken some unexpected turns since January, that's for sure.  I believe in divine intervention, and I experienced one of those times in life that try your spirit.

In January I made a job change that I believed would be a great opportunity.  Guess what? I could not have been more wrong,  Within a few weeks, I knew I'd made a big mistake without a backup plan in sight.  In addition to the financial wake up call I was facing, my self confidence and gumption took a major hit. Although I had to give up my farmer's market gig, I refused to deny myself the physical pleasure and mental escape making soap provides me.

It took me some time to believe something better was on the horizon, but it was and I'm so grateful!  I had been focused on money, but for me the true reward I've received has been the people.  What a difference it makes to be surrounded by positive, supportive co-workers in a happy atmosphere!  I can now see I'd been struggling for a year or more under choking job stress was actually making me sick.  Now I can just breathe, do some good for people, enjoy my day and come home happy.  It's a whole new world!

Now, I've been able to regroup and rethink what I really want to do with this soap habit.  I've decided that I don't have to decide anything right now.  I'm just having fun introducing the concept handmade soap to the new people in my life and happily converting them one by one. 

And then - last week Hubby and I were able to get away for a well deserved little road trip.  We wanted to stay close to home, so we decided on Arkansas, for the beautiful scenery and low key atmosphere we were craving.  My husband got to indulge his own hobby by digging for Arkansas crystals, and I got to visit  Bathhouse Soapery in Hot Springs!  Bathhouse owner Charlene Simon was a presenter at Central Soaper's Workshop a couple of years ago....sadly, a day I had to miss, but I've been admiring her store and concept from afar ever since.  So once more, divine intervention allowed me the opportunity to visit and experience this gorgeous, fabuloso soap shop in person!



My impression?  Total Soap Nirvana!  This boutique style shop is full of beautiful natural light, streaming in on loaf after loaf and bar after bar of  colorful and gloriously fragrant soap!  HEAVEN on earth that dazzles the senses.  Although I didn't get to meet Charlene in person this time, I thoroughly enjoyed chatting with her fun, funky and knowledgeable staff.  This shop is right in the heart of historic Bathhouse Row, where the therapeutic, mineral filled waters have drawn health seekers and bathers to the area for over a century.  So, not only are the soaps beautiful, they are infused with that healing local spring water.  No matter what you choose, you get a true spa experience for the skin that can only be found in Hot Springs.  It was a tough decision, but I limited myself to purchasing only "a few" bars. I am stealing time to enjoy using them and believe I can feel my own renewal taking place as well.  Isn't it funny how things just work themselves out?

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing the Possibilities

Many soapers like myself aren't living the dream of operating a full time soap business.  We have other types of work and careers that must remain top priority to pay the bills and keep our families going.  Those of us who are taking a shot at soaping as a side business have to squeeze out the extra time for it in rather creative ways. We can't be profitable if we aren't working at it several hours a week.  I'd venture to say many of us are in that same boat. I've done alot of thinking this weekend about moving forward in a new marketplace this season, and had another wonderful opportunity offered out of the blue.  Lots of exciting things are happening, but this also brings with it a degree of fear and anxiety for me.  I have a wonderfully supportive husband, but why do I immediately worry about failing?  I swear I have a dozen batches of soap curing right now and lots more already packaged and waiting, but still I fear I "won't have enough"!  When I

Happy New Year!

Reorganized Supply Closet :) My oh my how the time flies - it's really been over two months since my last post..!  November and December had me hoppin with holiday craft and sales events, not to mention the entire Christmas season's activities.  And as usual, I was sick in bed for a few days, too.  I'm just now catching my breath and starting to dream up some new soap ideas.  Today has been the first quiet day I've had at home in weeks, full of coveted unstructured time.  After finally getting the Christmas tree and decorations put away, I started a much needed revamp of my soap supply closet to make this small space more functional. Tomorrow I start on the curing room...it's a bit of a disaster, but it feels sooo good to get things in order and start fresh for the upcoming year. I don't normally set New Year's resolutions for myself, but this year I've been inspired by Kenna of  Modern Soapmaking .  She posted a wonderful example of her own planni

Lots of experiments

Today I got the chance to indulge in soaping for most of the day.  I did four batches today, using a technique I've never tried before, courtesy of a great   Youtube tutorial from SophiasNaturals .  She demonstrates an interesting form of thermal transfer that I haven't seen, immediately mixing the lye water into the hard oils until melted.  The liquid oils are added after.  I used this method for all my soaping today and it seemed to work well.  I didn't need to use the stick blender very much at all, which helped me tremendously as I often tend to overmix.  I wanted to attempt the "Holly Swirl", which is basically an in the pot swirl done twice.  Sorta..  I had a lot of half bottles of fragrances, so I did some custom scent blending, too. It was a day of experimenting. Top:  Small batch trying  Sweet Cakes "Aria" .  I used a some ruby mica for a cute little swirl.  It smells so good right now. Middle:  This was my attempt at Holly Swirl.  I have