Skip to main content

Lots of experiments

Today I got the chance to indulge in soaping for most of the day.  I did four batches today, using a technique I've never tried before, courtesy of a great  Youtube tutorial from SophiasNaturals.  She demonstrates an interesting form of thermal transfer that I haven't seen, immediately mixing the lye water into the hard oils until melted.  The liquid oils are added after.  I used this method for all my soaping today and it seemed to work well.  I didn't need to use the stick blender very much at all, which helped me tremendously as I often tend to overmix.  I wanted to attempt the "Holly Swirl", which is basically an in the pot swirl done twice.  Sorta..  I had a lot of half bottles of fragrances, so I did some custom scent blending, too. It was a day of experimenting.

Top:  Small batch trying Sweet Cakes "Aria".  I used a some ruby mica for a cute little swirl.  It smells so good right now.

Middle:  This was my attempt at Holly Swirl.  I have so much trouble with purple colorants. They always go grey and then I freak add too much other color..I think I did this again!  The swirl was awesome looking but was in shades of grey...it was pretty but I was hoping for purple.  But as you can see it is beginning to gel to purple.  I hope I don't get colored lather.  I used a random blend of lavenders and Bramble Berry Chamomile . Smells beautiful!

Bottom:  Another Holly swirl attempt using WSP Cottage Breeze and Nature's Garden Clean. I also used some annatto seed, green lab color and titanium dioxide for colors.  It smells super fresh and looked really pretty when I poured it.

Last but not least I did a goats milk batch using a blend of WSP Black Amber Musk and Nantucket Briar.  The scent is rich and sultry with a nice berry/plumb undertone.  I used a combo of americana red pigment and cobalt blue mica to color, which seems to have blended nicely. Love it so far!

I'm excited to cut these, hopefully tomorrow night.  I will really have to try not to uncover and peek at that lavender one too much, I'm pretty bad about that because I keep looking.  Well, my family is expecting to eat something this evening and my poor hubby has been out working all day.  So off I go..will post pics of cut soaps soon.  Bye for now!

Comments

  1. I can't wait to see the cut photos. Congrats on the blog.

    MK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, same to you. I just checked it out for a quick look - love it! The opening photos are fabulous! I will check back again soon...enjoy!

      Delete
  2. They all look beautiful. I know what you mean about purple! I did purple today too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should NOT have been concerned...It is waay purple today! LOL

      Delete
  3. Your Soaps looks great in their molds! We can't wait to see how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should try using alkanet. I have great results with it. Feel free to pop over and see some examples.

    cabinofbows.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy New Year!

Reorganized Supply Closet :) My oh my how the time flies - it's really been over two months since my last post..!  November and December had me hoppin with holiday craft and sales events, not to mention the entire Christmas season's activities.  And as usual, I was sick in bed for a few days, too.  I'm just now catching my breath and starting to dream up some new soap ideas.  Today has been the first quiet day I've had at home in weeks, full of coveted unstructured time.  After finally getting the Christmas tree and decorations put away, I started a much needed revamp of my soap supply closet to make this small space more functional. Tomorrow I start on the curing room...it's a bit of a disaster, but it feels sooo good to get things in order and start fresh for the upcoming year. I don't normally set New Year's resolutions for myself, but this year I've been inspired by Kenna of  Modern Soapmaking .  She posted a wonderful example of her own planni

Christmas Cuts

Just thought I'd share the photos of my cut Christmas Soaps.  They turned out well and smell super!  I hope I sell them all tomorrow ! Happy Friday  Everyone  :)