Skip to main content

My Humorous Journey

Someone recently asked me how I got started in my soapmaking hobby.  I always tell people it started with candlemaking.  True, but I've been thinking back over all my forgotten attempts at craftiness.  This is gonna be long!

I guess it started back in the day, when the country decorating craze was in full swing.  I loved to pour over Country Living magazines (obviously before Pinterest!), dreaming of a home like the ones on those pages.  I was a very young mother at that time; a newly married military wife transplanted in Southern California, far away from my Midwestern home.  I didn't have much money in those days to spend on "home decor", but I tried to find a way to somehow pull off the country thing.  Those magazine pages were full of people whom, I believed, breezed through their days, throwing together this and that for the perfect touch of charm in every nook and cranny.  I didn't realize that these homes were, although real, staged within an inch of their lives and put together by genuine professionals and not crafty homeowners with lots of time on their hands.  I was very naive!  My desire to fill my own space with casually strewn pieces of country whimsy led me to tackle: "The Wreath".  You know what I'm talking about - grapevines and straw, with huge complicated bows and ribbon tails stuffed with fake flowers and tons of baby's breath.   Yep, I had one for every door, room and holiday and in every shape and size.  Unfortunately, they usually all looked like a young child had made them.

Then I was on to something I was actually pretty good at - cross stitching.  If I couldn't have the actual objects in my house, I could stitch works of art depicting the simple homespun lifestyle I imagined.  My best friend and I, both Midwestern girls missing home, found a wonderful stitching store right in the middle of LA, CA, and we spent as much time as possible in that store (MariPat's; I wonder if it's still there?) We would put our kids to bed and stay up late into the night stitching.  My problem was I always went overboard with my designs. I had visions of walls lined with intricate masterpieces I would pass down to my children.  You could get stitching patterns of paintings and such, and my favorite artist always depicted rooms and scenes featuring lots of antique furniture, flowers and quilts - always quilts.  I would always choose the most complicated and ridiculously time consuming patterns, guaranteed to be abandoned before completion.  I would like to point out that I actually did finish several very nice pieces. They are in a box in the basement and I don't have any takers to pass them down to.  LOL

Fast forward to the present.  Like I said I started this with the candles.  I was floored by the selection of fabulous fragrance oils on the market.  Again, I must admit that the fragrances were the real draw that got me hooked and, right in line with my obsessive nature, I had to have as many as possible!  The descriptions are all so tempting! I got interested in the MP products and such, started looking at soap on the internet and Youtube videos and the rest is history.

I guess it took twenty some years for me to find my creative self, and this just feels so right to me.  This is surprising, because I was incredibly intimidated at first!  I had to start simply and work my way up to better techniques, so I couldn't get in over my head.  I love the process, the science of creating recipes, and walking into my curing space and seeing all those little beauties lined up and smelling so good.  (I "check on my babies" literally every day and am sometimes a little sad when they are purchased.)  I think my favorite part is cutting a fresh batch.  It's thrilling to see what's waiting on the inside and I'm still always amazed that I was able to pull off something so cool.  The best part, though, is that the possibilities are endless, and there is always something new to learn.  Maybe this will be the skill I can pass down.

I'm interested in what draws others to the world of soaping.  I think each crafter's personality is truly palpable their work, and I'm still somewhat awestruck by how many of "us" there are out there.  So what about you??  I'd love to hear some other stories from my fellow soapers!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing the Possibilities

Many soapers like myself aren't living the dream of operating a full time soap business.  We have other types of work and careers that must remain top priority to pay the bills and keep our families going.  Those of us who are taking a shot at soaping as a side business have to squeeze out the extra time for it in rather creative ways. We can't be profitable if we aren't working at it several hours a week.  I'd venture to say many of us are in that same boat. I've done alot of thinking this weekend about moving forward in a new marketplace this season, and had another wonderful opportunity offered out of the blue.  Lots of exciting things are happening, but this also brings with it a degree of fear and anxiety for me.  I have a wonderfully supportive husband, but why do I immediately worry about failing?  I swear I have a dozen batches of soap curing right now and lots more already packaged and waiting, but still I fear I "won't have enough"!  When I

Happy New Year!

Reorganized Supply Closet :) My oh my how the time flies - it's really been over two months since my last post..!  November and December had me hoppin with holiday craft and sales events, not to mention the entire Christmas season's activities.  And as usual, I was sick in bed for a few days, too.  I'm just now catching my breath and starting to dream up some new soap ideas.  Today has been the first quiet day I've had at home in weeks, full of coveted unstructured time.  After finally getting the Christmas tree and decorations put away, I started a much needed revamp of my soap supply closet to make this small space more functional. Tomorrow I start on the curing room...it's a bit of a disaster, but it feels sooo good to get things in order and start fresh for the upcoming year. I don't normally set New Year's resolutions for myself, but this year I've been inspired by Kenna of  Modern Soapmaking .  She posted a wonderful example of her own planni

Lots of experiments

Today I got the chance to indulge in soaping for most of the day.  I did four batches today, using a technique I've never tried before, courtesy of a great   Youtube tutorial from SophiasNaturals .  She demonstrates an interesting form of thermal transfer that I haven't seen, immediately mixing the lye water into the hard oils until melted.  The liquid oils are added after.  I used this method for all my soaping today and it seemed to work well.  I didn't need to use the stick blender very much at all, which helped me tremendously as I often tend to overmix.  I wanted to attempt the "Holly Swirl", which is basically an in the pot swirl done twice.  Sorta..  I had a lot of half bottles of fragrances, so I did some custom scent blending, too. It was a day of experimenting. Top:  Small batch trying  Sweet Cakes "Aria" .  I used a some ruby mica for a cute little swirl.  It smells so good right now. Middle:  This was my attempt at Holly Swirl.  I have