Skip to main content
Hi everyone!  Yep, I haven't shared any photos for quite some time - but I'm getting back into the swing.  I've been spending alot of time latley restocking my basic bars - Miracle Mud, Natural Oatmeal, Shaving and Naked.  These are popular and wonderful, but soapers know that experimenting and playing with new ideas is always how we want to spend our time.  Don't get me wrong - I'm thrilled that I'm developing a little customer base that I've got coming back for more - but you gotta let the creativity out sometimes, too.

I'm really, really trying not to purchase more fragrance oils (no really - I swear!), so I'm attempting to salvage some of those bottles with just a smidge of oil left and blending them into something new.  I also ran out of coconut oil so I tried some babassau and decided attempt changing my water ratio " aka discounting the water".  I basically raided my soap pantry and jumped right in.

So here are the results!  
Fragrances:  WSP Barber Shop + MMS Elements of Bamboo.  I added the fragrance combo to the oils first just in case it might speed up.  It didn't until I got all the colors blended (by hand - which accounts for some of the color specs in the blue).

Colorants: Gulf Stream Lab Color from Brambleberry,  Satin Grey Pillowcase mica from Mad Oils, and Zion Views mica from TKB Trading Co.

Told you I was mixing it up!  I love the babassau oil!  I've been using it in my lotion bars and it's perfect for that. Unfortunately it's a bit pricey so I may not soap much with it from now on.

Colorants sometimes give me trouble - seems like I either use too much or too little every time. Plus, the gulf stream always fools me because it looks green when you blend it in and stays that way until after the gel phase. Just when you think it's going to stay murky and green, the blue is revealed!  I must say I have loved experimenting with lots of different micas the past few months - there are so many fun ones out there now.   And best of all, this soap smells wonderful! Just enough masculine kick rounded out with the clean and slightly sweet bamboo.  It's so nice, I'm tempted to try and reproduce it.  You know what that means, right?? Buying more fragrance oils!   Sigh


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lots of experiments

Today I got the chance to indulge in soaping for most of the day.  I did four batches today, using a technique I've never tried before, courtesy of a great   Youtube tutorial from SophiasNaturals .  She demonstrates an interesting form of thermal transfer that I haven't seen, immediately mixing the lye water into the hard oils until melted.  The liquid oils are added after.  I used this method for all my soaping today and it seemed to work well.  I didn't need to use the stick blender very much at all, which helped me tremendously as I often tend to overmix.  I wanted to attempt the "Holly Swirl", which is basically an in the pot swirl done twice.  Sorta..  I had a lot of half bottles of fragrances, so I did some custom scent blending, too. It was a day of experimenting. Top:  Small batch trying  Sweet Cakes "Aria" .  I used a some ruby mica for a cute little swirl.  It smells so good right now. Middle:  This was my attempt at Holly Swirl.  I have

Happy New Year!

Reorganized Supply Closet :) My oh my how the time flies - it's really been over two months since my last post..!  November and December had me hoppin with holiday craft and sales events, not to mention the entire Christmas season's activities.  And as usual, I was sick in bed for a few days, too.  I'm just now catching my breath and starting to dream up some new soap ideas.  Today has been the first quiet day I've had at home in weeks, full of coveted unstructured time.  After finally getting the Christmas tree and decorations put away, I started a much needed revamp of my soap supply closet to make this small space more functional. Tomorrow I start on the curing room...it's a bit of a disaster, but it feels sooo good to get things in order and start fresh for the upcoming year. I don't normally set New Year's resolutions for myself, but this year I've been inspired by Kenna of  Modern Soapmaking .  She posted a wonderful example of her own planni

Christmas Cuts

Just thought I'd share the photos of my cut Christmas Soaps.  They turned out well and smell super!  I hope I sell them all tomorrow ! Happy Friday  Everyone  :)